This was on my neighborhood listserv composed by Mr. Robert Vinson, President of the DC Federation for Civic Associations and I wanted to pass along the information.
Thank you to all of our Veterans and those actively serving in the military and supporting our military!
District of Columbia Veterans Day 2011 Events
Thursday, November 10, 2011
• 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Rededication of the District of Columbia World War I Memorial – D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray, the National Park Service, Preserve D.C. and the OVA will honor D.C. veterans who served and died in World War I at the historic D.C. World War I Memorial on the Mall.
• 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.: Veterans Day Concert featuring the Chi-Lites and Kool & the Gang – Hosted by OVA, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray and U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki, this concert will take place in front of the U.S. Veterans Administration Building, 810 Vermont Avenue NW.
It is open to all DC residents.
Friday, November 11, 2011
• 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.: Honoring African-American World War II Veterans, National World War II Memorial – OVA will honor DC World War II veterans.
• 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden & D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray participate in the Arlington National Cemetery Veterans Day Memorial Service. This event includes a wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Seating in the cemetery’s amphitheater is limited, so visitors should plan to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the beginning of the ceremony.
• 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.: Veterans Day Rock Rally honoring D.C. women veterans, THEARC Theatre, 1901 Mississippi Avenue SE.
• 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.: Pacifica Radio Veterans Day Program With Acie Byrd – OVA Director Matt Cary and representatives from the Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) will reflect on what Veterans Day means to America and discuss issues veterans face as they come home from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
• 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.: Vietnam Veterans Memorial Ceremony – this will take place at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on the Mall and will pay tribute to all who served and sacrificed during the Vietnam War and America’s other conflicts.
Free Admission for Veterans – November 11-13, 2011
In honor of our nation’s armed services, all veterans and active-duty personnel will receive free admission to the Newseum for themselves and up to three family members November 11-13, 2011.
Complimentary tickets are available only at the admissions desk.
Veterans Day Discounts and Freebies
Abuelo’s Mexican Food - Abuelo’s offerings vary by region, be sure to call ahead to see what the discounts or freebies are included.
Applebee’s - All veterans and active duty military eat free from a limited menu at Applebee’s on Veterans Day.
Chili’s — Veterans and active duty dine for free from a special limited six item menu on Veterans Day.
Golden Corral — Golden Corral Restaurants’ Military Appreciation Monday free dinner will be available on November 15, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Military retirees, veterans, active duty, National Guard and Reserves are all welcome.
Hooters — All Veterans and active duty eat free. The free entrees must be selected from a special Veterans Day menu.
Krispy Kreme – All active-duty, retirees & veterans get a free doughnut on Veterans Day. Be sure to call ahead to verify your local Krispy Kreme is participating.
McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants — Participating McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants offer a complimentary entree to vets from a special menu on a space available basis, online reservations are highly recommended.
Outback Steakhouse — Veterans and active-duty military get a complimentary Bloomin’ Onion and non-alcoholic beverage on Veterans Day.
UNO Chicago Grill — UNO is offering a Buy One Get One free offer to Service members or Veterans with a military or veteran I.D. or in uniform or with a photo of themselves in uniform. The Veterans Day BOGO offer includes a free entree or individual pizza, with the purchase of an entree or pizza of equal or greater value.
Texas Roadhouse – Free meal from opening until 4pm. on Veterans Day. Call ahead to your local restaurant for more information.
T.G.I. Friday’s – Veterans and Service members Buy one get one free from Nov 11–14. Contact your nearest location for more details on their Veterans Day BOGO offer.
The Dollar General — Veterans, Service members (Active, Guard, and Reserve), and their immediate families will receive a 10-percent discount with a Veterans Day coupon. The coupon may be found in store circular ads or by asking a sales associate.
Home Depot — Offers a 10 percent discount to all Veterans during Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day.
Lowe’s — All veterans receive the 10-percent discount on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. The offer is available in stores only and is limited to in-stock and special-order purchases of up to $5,000.
Sam’s Club — Sam’s give away 36,000 collapsible Hugo Canes on Veterans Day to military veterans in need of mobility assistance. Sam’s Club will require membership for this offer, but proof of service may be necessary.
Amazon.com – Free ―Veterans Day Honor‖ MP3 album download. The album includes 12 songs by The Bands and Ensembles of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Cabela’s Outdoor Store – Offers their employee discount to all veterans, active-duty military and reserves, law enforcement, fire and EMS personnel November 11-12. Discounts vary from 5% to 50%, depending on the item.
Build-a-Bear Workshop – Members of the armed services including the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Reserve Officer Training Corps, will receive a 20% discount November 11-15 on any one transaction at Build-A-Bear Workshop.
Fashion Bug – 20% off all plus-size and misses clothing purchases with a copy of military ID or spouse’s military ID.
Sports Clips Haircuts - The men’s hair salon chain is offering a free haircut to active military and veterans on Veterans Day.
Foot Locker — Veterans, Service members (Active, Guard, and Reserve), and their immediate families with a Foot Locker Veterans Advantage Card receive a 20 percent discount every day of the year. That offer is good both online and at any store location, including Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, Footaction and Champs Sports — even on sale items
Robert Vinson Brannum
D.C. Federation of Civic Associations, Inc.